At the end of the nineteenth century, in the heart of the greatest period of development and transformation, Heydweiller Maximilian Friedrich, a leading member of the "dynasty" of silk industrialist Heydweiller from Krefeld in Germany, came to Gardone Riviera.
He bought a large portion of property, which probably belonged to the family of Faustino Cipani in Fasano and extended from the steep hills of "Gardone Sopra" to the lake shore of "Fasano". Numerous buildings, cottages and farmhouses belonged to the property; Maximilian Heydweiller was particularly impressed by a piece of land located on the top of a hill with a beautiful view of the lake, and in early 1900 commissioned the Architects "Voltz & Wimmer" from Strasbourg to build a representative prestigious house which had to become his residence.
The house was called "Villa Garda". Villa Garda quickly became one of the most popular destinations of the aristocracy and the bourgeoisie from Italy, Germany and Austria-Hungary, who were passing through on Lake Garda.
Command of Garda to requisition several villas and hotels in Gardone Riviera to convert them during the war years into War and Convalescent Hospital to care for the wounded returning from the front. Villa Garda was deemed suitable to accomodate the Senior Officers in convalescence. This use of the house lasted until 1918, when the First World War came to an end.
The Military Command of Garda then left all properties acquired by the seizure against the German owners in the hands of the National Association Fighters until the time when the State authorized their sale.
In 1921 Giovanni Breda, a very wealthy man, decided to buy the vast property which belonged to the family Heydweiller in Fasano. After taking possession of Villa Garda, Ing. Giovanni Breda, who had already had positions of great responsibility and a lot of prestige in the field of entrepreneurship, decided, after the mid-thirties, to realize his idea, which he had long dreamed of: to convert Villa Garda, his personal residence, into a first class hotel.
So in 1938, on the occasion of the new tourist season, Giovanni Breda decided to change the name of the villa and inaugurated the Hotel Villa del Sogno.In the first years of its activity, the hotel maintained a good level of employment.
In 1942 due to the inability to procure the necessary supplies and provisions, Giovanni Breda was forced to close the hotel.
The postwar period announced big changes. At Lake Garda many tourism entrepreneurs were involved in renewing their facilities, new hotels were opened and the first campsites were built. Giovanni Breda pledged again to return to the prewar Villa del Sogno prestige and selected customers began to visit Villa del Sogno and confirmed from year to year their presence.
In Spring 1986, the entire property of the Hotel Villa del Sogno, including all forniture and the great park that covers over 35,000 square meters was purchased by the Calderan Family, which is still taking care of the Villa with love and passion.